Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Developing Patience

   Being a first year teacher in the mist of a whole new curriculum is very stressful.  One of my biggest challenges lately is having patience with myself and my students.  There never seems to be enough time to do all I feel I need to and my reaction is usually to become short-tempered.  Now that I'm realizing how silly I have been for letting every little thing get to me I'm working hard to improve my level of patience.  I read a really great bible verse about patience that spoke to me.  It's from Colossians 3:12, "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."  I need to remember that in order to have patience I have to deliberately clothe myself with that type of Christ-like attitude. 
   Specifically I think it will be helpful if I start getting to school earlier each morning.  The days that I feel 100% prepared are usually the days when I am very patient and much happier.  How do you handle the stresses of teaching?


2 comments:

  1. I teach 5th graders and when I feel myself becoming frustrated (or notice that they are), we take a 3 minute yoga break. We do one or two yoga moves, focus on taking deep breaths, and then we get back to work. It makes a huge difference for them and for me!
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I will have to find some easy yoga moves!

      Delete

#navbar-iframe { visibility:hidden; height:0px; display:none; }